Sunday 25 May 2014

Pigging out in Vancouver - Part 1

Ever since I started my project in Vancouver in February, I've definitely been pigging out and eating a lot of good food.  Here are some of my new finds and an old place revisited.

Ramen Jinya
I was trying to find a ramen place that was a closer walk from my downtown hotel, but most of them are situated on the West End except this one which is located in Yaletown on the other end of Robson St.  Still about a 15min walk from my hotel but slightly closer than the other choices.  I had the tonkotsu ramen with black garlic oil and the gyozas.  The soup was very tasty and I liked their noodles.  The gyozas were good too.  I go there often.



Penang Delight
Another place that my coworkers and I visit weekly is a Malaysian restaurant in Marpole called Penang Delight that serves really tasty laksa and other tasty dishes.  We literally go there once a week.



Japanese is another must have in Vancouver.  In February, Vancouver has an event called Dine Out Vancouver where restaurants offer prix fixe menus just like Winterlicious.  At Minami, I enjoyed their Aburi style (flame seared) sushi, a set of four savoury dishes and dessert for $38.  Don't be fooled by the pictures and the small portions.  The meal was really filling!




After all the Asian meals, I decided it was time to have some Western cuisine as well to balance the palate.  I was really impressed with the Artic char that I had at Blue Water Cafe.  The skin was nice and crispy and the fish was juicy and tender.  I wanted to go back for another meal the other day but as the weather is getting hotter and the days longer, more and more people are out at restaurants, so I couldn't get a seat at the bar and went to try something else instead.  I shall go back for another taste sometime soon.

Another choice for Western cuisine was L'Abattoir, which is located in Gastown.  Here I enjoyed another fish dish which was the sole still with the bones attached.  The fish was soft and tender as well.  I actually really really enjoyed their bread basket and fries.  I haven't had a chance to go back because Gastown is too far to walk to, so I usually opt for closer restaurants.


A final restaurant that I will recommend in this post is Aki, which we had been to before.  They moved to a new location since we were there last, but I actually really enjoyed the atmosphere when it used to be in a basement because that had more of a real Japanese izakaya feel.  We ordered the tuna yamakake, ikura oroshi, chicken meat ball, dried smelt, and deluxe assorted sushi.  All were delicious.





Ramen Jinya 陣家 on Urbanspoon Penang Delight Cafe 馬來檳城美食 on Urbanspoon Minami 炙 on Urbanspoon Blue Water Cafe + Raw Bar on Urbanspoon L'Abattoir on Urbanspoon Aki Japanese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment